Friday, June 04, 2004

Counseling

I may not lose my job like I supposed, but I won't know for sure until the end of the next couple of weeks. On a better note, we saw the counselor last Wednesday, and it really seems to have helped. During the week before this one we had done nothing but argue on the phone. However, this week, we have been nice to each other and giving each other the kind of moral support that we both need. I think that the counselor has been giving us insight into our respective personalities that help us understand each other in way that was hard before. All of the emotional baggage that has built up between us solidified into a crust covering our hearts. Having the counselor helps us to scrape that stuff off. My girlfriend hasn't been as angry with me as she has been before, and I haven't gotten nearly as upset when she expresses minor (and this time appropriate) frustration.

Surprisingly, one of the things that has been coming out of our sessions is that I am emotionally unavailable in our interactions and that I can avoid answering questions that are diectly put to me. I avoid both my girlfriend's questions and the counselor's. In fact, the counselor says that I do it rather nimbly and subtly. I think that this might be the result of having to protect myself from previous emotional and verbal attack. However, the effect of this is that I don't address her needs, or consider her needs as important as mine. I'm really doing my best to give these counseling sessions an honest shot, because as I said during the last visit, I really want the two of us to be a healthy couple. I am going to invest the whole of myself in hope in order to have good returns over the summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home